I read a blog yesterday with what I considered a very inflammatory theme: Social Media is a fad. Fortunately I read through the entire post and at the end I had to agree that with the true theme which is SoME is not the end – it is one of many means to an end. It will evolve and change as information changes (and that will be verrry fast).
I have been in the work world for more years than I care to remember sometimes and it appears I will be in it for more than I had originally planned. I used to have a secretary now I do all my own communications. I planned for an annual sales meeting over three weeks way back when. Now I can download the info in a half hour. I actually received all my payments via checks in the mail. That may have never happened to you.
Is this massive change in how companies operate the reason we often neglect to provide basic training? When all is said and done some things NEVER change.
- Customers do not care what you are hearing from anyone else but them.
- Your business development is totally dependent on your customer’s business development.
- They are uninterested in your cost saving measures unless they benefit and even then it cannot affect customer service.
- You must take away the risk from purchasing your product/service whether it’s a personal relationship, a long history of working together or something so extravagantly wonderful it would be worse not to buy it.
- Sales cannot be left to the sales people. Everyone has to involved.
- Bad employees have to be terminated immediately. You are who you surround yourself with.
Can you do that with SoMe? You bet! Are there other ways? Absolutely. Just don’t forget basic strategy. Without it all the tactics in the world won’t make a difference!
Related articles by Zemanta
- Customer Service: Building a Customer-Centric Business (womensblog.score.org)
- 5 Things Social Media Can’t Do (e1evation.com)
- Social Media Checklist (June 2010) (slideshare.net)
- Basic Email Basics (insights-group.com)
- A few words about large scale social change via social media at TEDxMarin (cnewmark.com)
- How should businesses adopt social media: early bird or second mouse? (freshnetworks.com)